Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving


We spent Thanksgiving with my side of the family this year. (Since B's family always celebrates in Fayetteville, we alternate years so we do not have to travel so much on Thanksgiving Day and end up not enjoying either meal!) Before we eat, everyone stands behind their chair (identified by name cards, of course... have you ever met my mom? She goes ALL out for family holiday dinners with the fine china, and table decor) and we go around the room, each telling what we are especially thankful for that year. Everyone usually ends up crying at some point and I must admit that even though we are all very close, it always seems hard to find the right words when it comes my turn. This year was especially emotional as our family has had some very serious struggles with health, marriages, and through the past few months, we have even lost contact with some once very close members. The Lord spoke to my aunt a few weeks ago and placed it on her heart that we should get on our knees and pray for these issues because He says in Matthew 18:20, "When two or more are gathered together in my name, there I am in the midst of them". So, we all literally got on our knees and had a very emotional time of prayer. We have always been a very tight-knit family (we all even still gather to celebrate each one of our birthdays together as a group) I have never felt so close to my family than I did during this time of prayer and it made me even more thankful that I am a part of a Christian family. I admit that I understand this might have looked awkward to a non-Christian (or even some Christians that do not have a close relationship with their Heavenly Father)if they were to look in our window from the outside, but I am so proud to be able to feel comfortable in such a situation. I praise the Lord each day for my parents who raised me in a Christian home and taught me to turn to God especially when times get tough. Amazingly enough, our food wasn't the slightest bit cold even though we seemed to have ended up eating about 45 minutes past the original plan!

1 comment:

Bobby and Brooke said...

Awww...sounds like such a blessing for you and your family!Sounds like a great Thanksgiving!