Thursday, February 5, 2009

Reports from Aldersgate Weekday School

This entire "preschool year" I have had to leave this side of town by 11:30 to get to work on time, which required Avery's Pepa or Mema to pick him up from preschool. This meant that I missed out on all of the Aldersgate Mom Gossip (which I didn't exactly miss!) and most importantly, getting to talk to Avery's teachers on a regular basis. Sure... Pepa gave me the general scoop and I would catch up with his teachers when I saw them on Sundays at church, but I honestly admit that I've enjoyed getting to pick Avery up and hear the stories "first-hand" these past 2 weeks. Getting there on time has been a challenge, but I use the prego excuse and keep on smiling! When I arrived today, I saw Avery and his best buddy- Brenden-playing together (no shock there) in the back corner of the room, which in fact, is the kitchen! Avery was super busy "cooking" while Brenden was "feeding" the baby doll in the high chair and beating her on the head with the spoon after each bite! (Not quite sure about that, but I had to include it to make you smile) It was all I could do to not laugh as I imagined just how PROUD their daddies would be to see their choice of play instead of at the "workbench" with the other boys! Then, as I was showing this scene Brenden's Nana, I realized that they are simply following the GREAT DADDY role models that they see cooking and helping with the kids at home (minus the head-beating w/ the spoon, I'm sure!). I praise God for such an involved husband who is such a "hands-on" Daddy. I also praise God for the culture that we live in which encourages fathers to do more than "Bring home the bacon", but to get out the frying pan and cook the stinkin' bacon too! :) Some might say that I am not the best wife or mother b/c my husband does help (or you might sometimes say that I help him) with the cooking and cleaning and parenting, but I am proud that we are a team. I am proud that it works for us and our son obviously notices the roles. I am proud that my son and his buddy were playing in the kitchen and confident in their manhood- HA!
One more quick sidenote... (and this might contradict the manhood thing a little)... Mrs. Tori also reported today that Avery walked in this morning and as she took off his coat, he told her: "Sorry, but I'm having a Bad Hair Day" (In his defense, I did tell him that before we left the house, but I didn't expect him to repeat it!) Avery's teacher also told me that she was impressed with how mature he has become and how he seems to be like a different child than he was in the Fall. She said that he loves to be her helper, even with disciplining the other children. At "circle time", one of the other kids was acting out and before she could say anything to the child, Avery looked at him and said in a stern voice, "1...2...3- TIME OUT". I've got THAT KID- there's always one in every class- Ha! He's my boy!

3 comments:

Bobby and Brooke said...

Aww! What sweet little boys and what a great friendship! I hope they are best buds forever!

(Of course your child would be the one being perfect when you arrive and mine would be the one beating a baby with a spoon...thanks!) :)

The Good Family said...

WHATEV! Where do you think Brenden leaned to beat the baby with the spoon, if not from my child?!! HA!

maria joiner said...

Hey Kellie! Congratulations! I'm so happy for you and Brian. Lilly is sooo cute. Also wanted to let you know that I am enjoying reading your blog. I laughed so hard reading about the spoon beating and the stuff that Avery does. Avery reminds me so much about Thomas. Take care and give Lilly a kiss from me.

Nova