Friday, February 13, 2009
"Never Wake a Sleeping Baby"...
...Isn't that what you've always heard? Well, Lilly sleeps and sleeps and sleeps. She isn't gaining her weight back and now weighs 7 lbs 8 oz and she weighed in at 8 lbs 3 oz at birth. Today, her doctor explained to me that she doesn't have enough energy to wake up and eat because she isn't eating enough. Hmmm... so, I seriously spend an hour trying to wake Lilly to eat. I strip her down to her diaper, change her diaper, rub her with a wet wipe, tickle her feet, massage her... and then maybe she will open her mouth long enough to eat for 5 minutes before she falls back asleep. I then try to have her drink either pumped breast milk or formula, but she will only drink about 10mL before she falls back asleep. I am able to get her to burp about 50% of the time but when she doesn't burp, she ends up spitting up almost all that she has eaten. I am so frustrated at this point b/c I hate having to irritate her and I am getting very discouraged when I stuggle so hard to wake her up and then face the challenge of keeping her awake! I feel so guilty for complaining because I have waited so long to have Lilly here but I am so exhausted. Today, when I was finished pumping, I went to turn off the breast pump and instead grabbed the remote and turned off the tv. I need some sleep! Does anyone have any secrets to waking a sleeping baby? Please help!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
I am praying for you and I am emailing you...all at the same time. Tomorrow I will call you! ;)
Love ya!
Kelly, I FEEL you!! Kharis had this SAME problem!! It was truly distressing, especially when I was exhausted. Keep at it, it will work itself out, maybe not as soon as you would like but it will eventually. I finally realized I was getting too worked up, so I would try for half an hour at a time, then give myself half an hour to chill (using timers), then try again. It actually seemed to be more successful! Call me if you want-I would love to talk about it!!
We messed in Zeke's ear to keep him awake, that was the only thing that worked when he was little bitty. Oh and think about how he has turned out, we had to work to get him to eat and now look at how huge he is. haha
Post a Comment