Thursday, November 13, 2008
471-8383
471-8383 was the first phone number that I learned as a child. It has always been my parent's phone number since 1983 when they moved into their house. My home phone number. Now, I know that since I went away to college and got married and all that stuff, I have had several phone numbers, but that was the one that remained the same. I never thought that my parents would do it, but they canceled their home phone and are only using their cell phones now. I know that it makes sense as far as their budget goes, (especially since they never seem to be able to find the phone to answer it anyway), but I couldn't help but to be sad about it. I know I'm pregnant, but I don't think I am overreacting. Or, am I? Tears filled my eyes when I called last night and heard, "The number you have reached, 919-471-8383, has been disconnected". It's like a piece of my childhood (that I never realized mattered to me) was taken away! Why do I care so much about 7 digits? Brian is so sweet and offered to call the phone company and ask them if we could change our home number to 471-8383, but I told him that was just silly. He even admitted that he thought it was sad too b/c he used to love seeing those numbers on his pager (yes, we grew up in the 90's) when we were in high school! It is just crazy how things have to change and we don't realize the little things that matter until they are gone!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Kelly, thank you for a good laugh tonight! I'm so sorry your parents did such an awful thing to you! It probably isn't just your prego hormones, I can feel your pain! I TOTALLY think you should let B try and get your # changed. That would be super sweet!
Love you!
I'm sure I would be a little bummed if my parents did that too because their number has been the same since I was 3 but I guess the blessing is that they are still in the same house and they are still alive...You and I couldn't ask for more than that, really!
Post a Comment