Monday, June 2, 2008
Peace and Potty Training
Two weekends ago, we went to Bald Head Island to celebrate Memorial Day. I had no idea something so peaceful and beautiful was off the coast of NC and so close! We saw all kids of wildlife up close including an alligators, a fox, turtles, all kinds of birds and it seems just crazy to have a forest so close to the beach. I'm ashamed to admit it, but the thing that was the hardest for me to get used to (blame it on being raised in Durham, I guess!) was being so safe and being able to leave your purse in your golf cart when you went inside somewhere. It is so sad that we have to be so cautious and worried about "bad guys" and locking our doors, but that is a part of our real life. It was a true vacation to be able to even leave your worries on "the mainland" and be overcome with true peace. Oh, it was a piece of heaven! I recommend everyone try to visit there if they get a chance b/c it is somewhere that pictures do not do it justice... you just have to experience it on your own! But- you know me, and I took lots of pics!! :)With our first family vacation of the summer behind us, and then next one a month away, I decided to take on a new challenge: Potty Training. Why? I'm not sure... but I already set a (now realizing- pretty unrealistic goal) and I'm determined to give it my best shot. I truly don't think Avery is ready, but there is no turning back now! He is doing pretty well, and thinks it is more fun now that he has figured out how to stand up and pee. The major problem is that it doesn't bother him if he has an accident and he's wearing undies (which my mom still calls panties... can you tell she didn't have boys?!) so that has to feel nasty. I'm sure that is typical of most boys, but let me know if you have any suggestions! Sunday morning, Brian tried to make him take a poop (still yet to happen) in the potty by sitting beside him, so I got a super cute pic of my boys doing their business! I'll put it on here until he sees it and makes me take it off! Ha! :) Oh, and another question for you "seasoned moms"... how long can this "WHY" phase possibly last? If I had $1 for every time Avery asked "Why?", I could purchase BALD HEAD ISLAND!
Posted by The Good Family at 5:33 PM 0 comments
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Mommy Day
So, I know I'm not the only Mommy out there who wishes we had Mother's Day more than just one day a year! I mean 1/365 is 0.0027... that just sucks! I'm obviously kidding, but I only get this kind of treatment on Mother's Day and maybe my birthday. It was awesome! I was woken up with Daddy and Avery bringing me breakfast (cheesy eggs, bacon, toast, & OJ) in bed! Then, while Daddy took a shower, Avery sat with me, sharing my tray and ate his cheerios as I told him over and over why he made me so happy as his mommy. :) Then, the rest of the day, I got out of changing his diaper because "It's Mother's Day!" and no other reason is necessary! Yesterday, before Avery and Daddy left to go buy my present, I told him to tell Daddy to get diamonds... again, obviously kidding. He then told me that he was going to buy me "big girl underwear" (I'm assuming b/c I had just bought him big boy undies on Friday) and I told him to at least get me some diamond earings to go with them. Brian overheard us, so he took Avery to Macy's to look at some diamond studs that were on sale. When Avery saw them, he told Brian that they weren't diamonds. "No, Daddy... diamond shapes, like these" and pointed to some silver dangling earings that were twisted and looked diamond shaped (also on sale!...he gets it honest!) You have to give it to him, he knows his shapes! Ha! So, I got the best present that I could have imagined and better (well, almost!) than real diamonds... Beautiful silver earings picked out by my 2 1/2 year old son, who takes every word I say literally! (He and Daddy also gave me a Mom's Devotional Bible, so I am so excited about that helping me to be a better mommy in the year ahead!) I had a wonderful weekend celebrating my own Mom who, through her example, has taught me how to be a strong Christian Mom. She is my closest friend as well as role model. Yesterday, we went to a Mother-daughter luncheon together (with my sister), and our whole family had fun at the Durham Bulls game last night. After church and spending time with my husband's family today, my Mother's Day came to an end as I sipped on a Skinny Grande Carmel Machiato (I can barely say it, so I sure can't spell it!) with Mom at Starbucks. (Jealous, Jenn?! Ha!) I could not ask for more! Praise The Lord for my blessings! Well... maybe I could ask for more Mother's Days... but I'll take what I can get! :)
Posted by The Good Family at 9:22 PM 1 comments
Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Kids say the darndest things!
Somehow it is a month later and I still haven't made time to post! Avery has kept us busy with his ER visit, doctors appointments, and breathing treatments. We are down to only having to do the Pulmicort Respules (in the nebulizer) at morning and at bedtime, and the Albuterol through the inhaler as needed in emergency situations. He actually has an infection in his lungs which is being treated by an antibiotic and is also taking Zyrtec each night. So... needless to say, we are keeping CVS and Duke in business! Ha! I can't complain, though, because this is something that can be treated and there is a possibility that he will outgrow Mr. Asthma! I'm just thanking God for good insurance and our savings account. :) Avery's language is so "grown up" these days. It's so cool how he can carry on real conversations but sometimes I wish he didn't have so many opinions. On Sunday, he refused to wear his blue crocs because his "shirt was yellow and he needed his yellow boots". So- I have learned to pick my battles, and this wasn't one that I chose to fight. Everyone probably thought I had lost my mind b/c he showed up at church wearing a yellow polo, kacki shorts, and fireman rain gollashes. I'm starting to think that he is hitting the terrible 2's a little late, or either 3 is going to be much worse than I had imagined! Everything turns into a power struggle. Something funny that happened today when Aunt Kristin took him to Kid's Day @ The Durham Bulls baseball game: when she asked him if he wanted a corn dog for lunch, he said, "no- I want a firetruck dog"! We have told him that he can get a doggy once he starts using the potty and he somehow thinks we meant a dalmation. Um... I don't think our house is quite big enough for that much energy! The other day after I picked Thompson up from school, I told him that we needed to run to Target really fast. In the sweetest voice, he asked, "Um... Mrs. Kelly- can you please drive your car, because I'm too tired to run that far". Too Cute! I hope you are all doing well and please let me hear from you soon.
Posted by The Good Family at 5:42 PM 0 comments
Saturday, March 29, 2008
Sweet Heart
Well, obviously I haven't posted in a while. I think it is a combination of being busy and exhausted at the time of the day when I have access to my computer! We had a great Easter and hope you did as well. Avery got a new dvd: 101 Dalmatians from my parents and this has become his newest obsession. He tells everyone that he is getting a "fire doggie" for his birthday. Hmmm... not so sure about that one, but I'm just not willing to break his sweet little heart right now. Since Cruela Devil is so scary, I had to keep telling him that she was a "mean lady who needed to go to time out" so that he could make it through the scary parts. I was set back, though, toward the end of the movie when the mean guys are chasing the puppies and get in a car wreck with Cruela's car. I, instantly thought... Ha! That's what they deserve! To my amazement, Avery said, "Awww... are they hurt, mommy?" It was too cute and taught me yet another "lesson from my 2 year old" to love others... even those that are hardest to love! After all...they are the ones that need it the most, right!Avery has been spending his Fridays with me as I go to "work" with Thompson. The past few weeks have been eye-opening as I've watched this beautiful friendship bloom between "my two boys". Avery's innocence is something that I admire and wish more people had the ability to first see Thompson as an adorable friend and not immediately notice his Autisic qualities. Of course they argue at times, as all children do, but they giggle and build memories as they go on incredible adventures that include NO MOMMIES. I'll admit that my feelings were temporarily hurt the first time that I realized that I was not wanted to play, but I know all children need their independence and time to "explore" without knowingly being supervised! Oh, I know this is just the beginning and I'm thanking God that these adventures do not include anything illegal... yet!
Posted by The Good Family at 1:47 PM 0 comments
Wednesday, February 27, 2008
I'm Falling Behind!
I haven't had much time on the computer lately because I've honestly been too tired when I have been getting home from "work". I know it is my job but I find it hard to call it work! I love spending time with Thompson but sometimes his schedule is overwhelming! I must also be falling behind on the housework at home. Just last night, Brian came to tell me to look in the bathroom where Avery had just gone to "try to potty". Avery was pulling toilet paper off of the roll and carefully placing it on the cushion part of his little potty seat! Surely it was clean... right?!! After we had a good laugh (quietly, so not to interupt MR. OCD in the next room) Brian explained to him that he didn't have to do that when he used the potty at home while I was left to wonder what else Avery just "picks up on" when he is watching me in public!
Posted by The Good Family at 5:03 AM 0 comments
Wednesday, February 13, 2008
Lessons Learned from a 2 year old
There is so much to be said about the intuition of a child. I know it is hard to believe, but I am not always in a great mood! Yes, I let the stress build up and sometimes am unable to "fake a smile" and guess who is the first to bring it to my attention? Avery doesn't let me stay in a bad or sad mood very long, because as soon as he realizes that Mommy is upset, he wraps his sweet little arms around my neck and asks, "Mommy- You Happy Now"? How can I not immediately smile when I know that he is counting on me to say, "Yes"?! If only we could all seek out opportunities to smile and make others HAPPY. It seems like a simple concept that we are all capable of... after all, a 2 year old can do it! So, why do we, instead, find ourselves focusing on ourselves and not showing God's love?
Posted by The Good Family at 5:10 PM 0 comments
Monday, February 11, 2008
The Sweetest Boy In The Whole Wide World
Brian and I took Avery to the circus last Thursday night! We had so much fun! I think I enjoyed watching Avery's facial expressions more than the "Greatest Show On Earth"! There is just something so facinating when a child sees something for the first time. I wish I could listen to his giggles all night long. I couldn't help but to think about how amazed we will all be when we are face to face with our Lord... what a "show" that will be!Avery didn't feel his best this weekend, so he was a little extra snuggly! I feel guilty, but I tend to look forward to these times when he is not so "independent" and lets me hold him longer than usual. Now that he's "a big boy", I'm lucky if he will sit still for more than a minute at the time! My mom tells me all the time that he "has to be the sweetest boy in the whole wide world" and she's even taught him to answer "Avery, Avery Good" when asked. Of course, I agree with her, but I have to add that he has the cutest manners. Just the other morning, he was eating a banana and I told him that we needed to leave b/c mommy had to go to work. He put his banana down and said, "I sorry- banana... I have to go to Mema's house now". Oh... how I hope he is always so considerate. If only he always cares about others the way he cares about his food! Ha!
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment