Thursday, December 18, 2008

Christmas is a week away!

For those of you who know my husband, you know that once he purchases a gift, he has to give it away. This is why I received my engagement ring 3 months before he told my dad that he was planning to propose to me and why I always receive every birthday and Christmas present way ahead of time! So, I really wasn't surprised that he insisted on giving me my Christmas gift 2 nights ago. I had a really hard day and it did cheer me up, but I was a little confused b/c we had agreed to stick with a $30limit. He says this is a "family present" so that is why he didn't stick to our agreement... and, even though we don't need to spend money on things like this right now, I'm really excited about it. It is a tiny video camera that can you plug in the computer to instantly upload videos. It is so small that I can keep it in my purse or diaper bag and capture all of those priceless moments anytime, then email them to everyone! Very cool. I think it is called a Flip Video. So, now I am faced with a dilima. I thought I was already going "above and beyond" b/c I have gotten a few surprises and spent a little over the budget (I mean, really... you can't get too much for $30 anyway... what were we thinking?) but nothing compared to his creative purchase. Until I figure out some way to show him how much he means to me, I am going to post an excerpt from one of my Proverbs 31 Ministry devotions that I am striving to do each day. If you are a wife, I challenge you to join me because the little things go a long way...

PRACTICAL WAYS TO HONOR YOUR HUSBAND

*Tell your husband that you believe in him!
*Don't point out his mistakes, just fill in the gap.
*Ask God to show you ways to serve your husband.
*Don't ever say "I told you so."
*Say "I'm sorry" and mean it when you dishonor him.
*Say "I forgive you" and mean it when he dishonors or hurts you.
*Tell your husband that you thank God for giving him to you (and be sure you do).
*Let him overhear you telling someone something you appreciate about him.
*Support and encourage his decisions.
*Praise him when his decisions turn out well and encourage him when they don't.
*Tell you husband each day about one thing you are thankful for - about his character, his work ethic, his provision, his humor or something his adds to your family.
*Pray for your husband every day.

So, this is my early Christmas gift to Brian and declaration of a "New Year's Resolution" of sorts. I think it is only natural for me to always strive to be a better mother and I sometimes let "being a better wife" fall aside. I think these little things are easy to do and don't cost a penny. But- I do still need to get him at least one more surprise under the tree...!

1 comment:

Bobby and Brooke said...

What a good hubby...you owe him big! ;)